Optimum nutrition is of utmost importance when you have cancer. Both the illness and treatment affect your appetite and ability to tolerate certain foods. Optimum nutrition will assist you in:
- Feeling better
- Increasing your energy levels
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Lowering your risk of infection
- Accelerating healing and recovery time
- Tolerating treatment related side effects better.
It is important to include a variety of foods in order to ensure that your body receives all necessary nutrients. These nutrients are provided by each of the food groups below and play a vital role in delivering the nutrition required for a healthier and stronger you.
Our wide range of FUTURELIFE® products can provide the platform to get the train moving:
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™
FUTURELIFE® High Protein SmartBar
FUTURELIFE® Smart Bread™
FUTURELIFE® CRUNCH Smart Food™
FUTURELIFE® Smart Drink™
FUTURELIFE® Smart Fibre™ 2in1
This is a perfect everyday breakfast option which helps you to meet your increased protein requirements. It is a High Protein, High Energy, Low GI meal containing 23 Vitamins and Minerals, 19 Amino Acids, Omega-3 and Moducare®.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH ENERGY Smart Food™ may also be enjoyed here.
These bars are ideal for days when you have no appetite, they are also great to snack on before or after treatment. This product contains 19 Amino Acids including Glutamine. Glutamine has been proven to benefit patients with cancer.
Smart White Bread is high in Omega 3 and a source of Fibre. Ideal for toast when you feel nauseous or have diarrhoea.
Smart Brown Bread is a source of Omega-3 and high in Fibre. With 6.1g Fibre per 100g, this source of Fibre may assist with constipation.
Feeling nauseous? Need something dry to snack on? Try this product made from predominantly rolled oats, puffed rice, corn flakes, maize and soy. It contains 35 key nutrients, Moducare® and is high in 12 Vitamins and Minerals.
Nausea, vomiting and pain may prevent one from drinking sufficient fluids. Stay hydrated and get in some additional protein with this great tasting low-fat drink that contains 50 essential nutrients.
Good digestion requires both fibre (bran) and live beneficial cultures (probiotics). This high Fibre product assists with constipation and works in your gut to aid digestion and absorption of nutrients.
DID YOU KNOW?
Research has shown that wheat bran decreases risk of colorectal cancer.
(The information above is a guide to managing your side effects. If you have any concerns or questions, seek advice from a medical professional).
Your journey through life does not have to be halted when diagnosed with cancer. Focus on the fight and not the fright. Stay positive, stay healthy and steam ahead through cancer management with the FUTURELIFE® products best suited to your needs.
Try the recipes below for more creative ways to manage possible side effects.
When you don’t have a good appetite, the last thing you want to do is force yourself to eat the same old boring breakfast. Try this healthy high protein crumpet recipe to spice up your breakfast menu.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ crumpets
- 150ml FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ (Chocolate or Original flavour)
- 75ml water
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 banana
- ¼ teaspoon oil
- Blend together all ingredients except oil until smooth.
- Grease a non-stick frying pan with oil and heat to medium.
- Use a ladle to pour mixture onto the frying pan.
- When bubbles on the surface start to pop, turn the crumpet over using a spatula and cook the other side.
- Recipe makes ±5 crumpets with a diameter of 10cm.
(Crumpets should be a golden brown when using FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ Original flavour and a milk chocolate brown when using FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ Chocolate flavour).
One of the common side effects during cancer treatment is mouth sores, dry mouth and swallowing difficulties. This ice lolly recipe will assist in keeping you hydrated whilst maintaining a good nutritional intake.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ ice lollies
- 5 heaped tablespoons (50g) FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ Original flavour
- 125ml low fat milk
- 125ml water
- ½ banana
- 1 kiwi fruit
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- Fresh mint
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend on full power until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an ice lolly tray and place in freezer.
- Leave for ±2 hours and serve.
You can alternate between Chocolate flavour and Original flavour FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™. Swop bananas for a handful of fruit of your choice.
Research has shown that ginger may be beneficial in managing nausea and vomiting, especially before and after chemotherapy. These ginger biscuits may be the ideal solution to manage your symptoms.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ ginger biscuits
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 cup FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™ Original flavour
- 15ml ground cinnamon
- 2ml ground cloves
- 5ml ground ginger
- 3ml coarse black pepper
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 150g sugar
- 30ml milk
- 80ml golden syrup
- 80g butter
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Place oven rack on shelf one above middle position.
- Sift flour, FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart Food™, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt and bicarbonate of soda together. Add sugar and mix well.
- Heat butter, golden syrup and milk in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Add syrup mixture to dry mix and stir until it forms a lumpy mixture.
- Knead dough until a smooth ball is formed. Roll out on a floured surface, to about 3mm thick.
- Cut into shape of choice.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.